Sometimes I can talk my girls in to hanging out with me in the sewing room. It was Chelsea's day off today...
Supplies / Cut List:
13" x 20" rectangle for bag
2 - 2-1/2" x 16" strips for handles
9" x 12" piece of craft felt
scraps / buttons for eyes
1 box of 8 to 10 jumbo crayons
1) PRESS 13" x 20" rectangle in half
2) CUT an 8-1/2" square from the felt piece. Free-form cut it to the monster shape desired. We included a couple of ears and rounded the sides. Or use this PATTERN. Keep the bottom straight. PIN into place along the right half of the 13" x 20" rectangle, about 2" from the top.
3) STITCH around the edges using either a straight stitch or blanket stitch.
4) CUT a 3-1/2" x 8-1/2" rectangle from the felt. MARK the center, then MARK at 1" increments from the center. We used a FRIXION pen (marks disappear when ironed).
5) Round off the bottom corners, then PIN in place, overlapping about 1". STITCH the outside edges, leaving the top edge free.
6) STITCH along the marked lines, backstitching at beginnings and endings. This forms the crayon pockets. PRESS to remove marking lines.
7) Add felt/buttons for Monster's eyes, a little offset for personality... We used a zig-zag stitch on the machine to sew the buttons in place.
8) PRESS under 1/4" along top long edge of rectangle. PRESS again, at about 1/2".
9) With right sides together, leaving 1/4" folded at the top, PIN and STITCH raw edges along the side and bottom of the bag. Zig-Zag or serge raw edges for a clean finish. Chelsea likes sewing on one of the old beaters.
12) EDGE-STITCH along the hem, stitching over the bag handles. Then, flip the handles to the top and EDGE-STITCH all around the top edge, stitching through the bag handles to keep them in place.
Thanks for hanging out today!
p.s. Linky party over at Sew Many Ways.