Saturday, April 3, 2021

Camp Woodland Activity Quilt #3

This activity quilt is more like a Quiet Book page.  Buttons, snaps, colors, shapes, and a detachable
I-Spy Bag filled with 20 little things.  One more Camp Woodland pillow panel done!
Flowers and Shapes.

These are made using Heat'n'Bond Ultrahold fusible web.  Click to see the full >>TUTORIAL<<. 

Each flower requires two 5" squares and a 5" x 10" piece of the fusible web.  Follow the manufacturer's instructions to adhere the web to each square, peel off the protective paper, then fuse both squares together.  Basically, it plasticizes the fabric, finishing the edges, and makes a stiff but pliable unit.  I ran the square through my AccuQuilt flower-shaped die-cutter, then used the leftovers to cut out the small shapes.

The flower centers are some old Riley Blake 1-inch size buttons, each with a matching covered elastic band laced through the holes (use a piece of string to pull them through), and anchored with a zig-zag stitch to the quilt.  

I cut a slit in each flower, and they are pretty easy to push the buttons through.  Good skill builder!

And once again, my little "Snapplicator" came in handy.  I applied one half of the snap through the quilt, then the other half to each small shape in its matching color.  

Next, I was toying with a dial to spin at the center of the compass, but without a hard surface, that was not going to work.  So I thought of making a little I-Spy packet.  I have seen them in the past, but never tried one.  Turns out, they were pretty easy to make once you have the supplies.

I cut two 7" circles of fabric and one 7-1/2" circle of some clear vinyl.  First, I basted the fabric circles with wrong sides together, then stitched a couple of pieces of velcro to the back, corresponding to the velcro I had already stitched on the compass.  I then took 4 tiny tucks on the vinyl to fit on the fabrics to make a little bit of a dome, and basted* the vinyl to the fabric, leaving about a 1-1/2" opening.

* Note:  For sewing on vinyl, I used a teflon foot on my machine, but a little painter's tape on the bottom of the regular presser foot works just as well. 

I  used a funnel and filled the pouch with about 1-1/2 cups of plastic pellets.  Rice would have worked too.  Then I popped in 20 teeny button shapes and tiny toys and basted the opening closed.  Lastly, I bound the edge with a 20" strip of bias edging to seal everything in and give a nice finish.  

To fold up the quilt, undo the flowers from the buttons and stash them in the pocket.  The I-Spy bag velcroes off and scoots toward the pocket.  Then the quilt can be folded like so:

Cute backing fabric!

Another fun pack & play fidget quilt!

Happy Sewing!

1 comment:

So happy you stopped by for a visit! Thank you!